Tuesday 25 September 2012

Brook Turns Down Shot at Bradley


Kell Brook has revealed that he turned down a shot at WBO Welterweight Champion Timothy Bradley and chose to take the mandatory route.

Brook, Decided to go the mandatory route as he felt this was the best option for him to become a World Champion. Brook will fight on October 20th in a Final Eliminator for the IBF Welterweight Championship against Hector Saldivia at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield.

“The Bradley fight was put in front of me but I believe the mandatory position in the IBF is the right move,” said Brook, who is back in Sheffield after a two week training camp in Spain. “Eddie has worked hard to get me into this position and providing I beat Saldivia, I’ll be fighting for a world title at the start of 2013 and it will be on my terms.

“I would love that to be in Sheffield too and I know Eddie would do his best to get it here as it would be an amazing event. I will also be watching Ricky Hatton’s comeback with great interest as a fight against him next year would be an absolute blockbuster for British boxing.
“When I fought his brother Matthew you could see that the Hatton name still means a lot in boxing and we would fill a big stadium fighting for a world title.”

Hearn added: “Top Rank contacted me in August and made us an offer for the Bradley fight. It was a nice ego boost for Kell to be offered a fight of such magnitude but we begun this journey with a goal of becoming a mandatory challenger and now we are just one win away.”

Brook had a chance to become a World Champion against Timothy Bradley who I think he could of won but he chose this route and will earn a shot at Rendall Bailey or Devon Alexander. Brook clearly has his eyes set on the returning Ricky Hatton and I'm sure that would be a fight Amir Khan will be looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment